We’re so excited to announce that in this year’s 90th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, Grace VanderWaal will be performing on the GoldieBlox float! If you haven’t heard of Grace, she’s about to become your daughter’s new favorite singer – and maybe yours, too. Here are five fun facts about the 12-year-old singer and ukulele player
1. She’s the first act to win America’s Got Talent with all original music
Grace started writing her own music when she was 3, and she’s only the second girl to ever win the talent competition. At her audition, Howie Mandell used the Golden Buzzer to make sure Grace got through to the next round. Watch her first performance below!
2. Using money from her 11th birthday, she bought her first ukulele and taught herself how to play using YouTube videos
Grace also got her start on YouTube, posting ukulele covers of songs like “Ex’s & Oh’s” by Elle King and “Riptide” by Vance Joy. Her channel has a total of over 32 million views!
3. She wrote “I Don’t Know My Name” while doing her math homework
“I was doing math homework and I still remember the date,” Grace told Teen Vogue. “And I just came up with the tune, and then I put words to it. And then I came up with the plot of it and then that made it easier for lines, and then it was just born!”
4. After she won America’s Got Talent, Taylor Swift sent her flowers
…and she got kind of excited.
— Grace VanderWaal (@GraceVanderWaal) September 17, 2016
5. She’ll be performing on GoldieBlox’s Girl-Powered Spinning Machine float in this year’s 90th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade!
Grace’s first EP comes out on December 2nd, so this will be your chances to hear her brand new music even before the album hits stores. We can’t wait!
— Grace VanderWaal (@GraceVanderWaal) November 8, 2016
Main photo by Trae Patton/NBC